Belgium – taste of history and chocolate
Do you know which country in Western Europe has interesting history, great food and 3 official languages – Dutch, French, German? I am talking about Belgium with only 11,2 million inhabitants!
MY TOP MUST SEE 3 CITIES – that are like pearls on a necklace!
BRUSSELS – is capital of BELGIUM and the EUROPEAN UNION also is main economic centrum of country. There are plenty of museums, galleries, fantastic restaurants and cafés!
- GRAND PLACE (Grote Place) –is amazing historical and elegant centrum.
- MANNEKIN PIS – exists various legends from 14century but the present statue was made in 1619.
- BELGIAN ROYAL MUSEUM of FINE ART (1881) – is one of the largest and best art galleries in the world!
- ATOMIUM – its original aluminum structure was designed for the 1958 Brussels World Exhibition.
BRUGES – is capital of West Flanders and charming medieval city and no wonder that more than 2 million tourists every year coming to see this small architecture treasure!
- TOWN HALL – is one of the oldest in Belgium!!!
- MARKT – Main Square – with market and historical buildings around.
- BASILICA of the HOLY BLOOD – is famous for the crystal vial kept inside.
- MY TIP : you can explore the city by boat – it is wonderful experience!
GHENT – is port city with big social and culture, many Universities, and in Middle Ages was prominent rich City-State!
- BELFRY and CLOTH HALL – was a symbol of the city’s autonomy.
- CASTLE (fort) GRAVENSTEEN – from 12.century is amazing.
- CATHEDRAL of SAINT BAVO – is majestic and one of the best religious architecture in Belgium.
- MY TIP: you can enjoy rides in horse-drawn carriages!
What else can you see in Belgium? There are plenty places but I think very interesting places are also Antwerp, Liege, Ardennes and Waterloo!
GOOD TO KNOW:
- Chocolate – country produce more than 220 000 tones of chocolate per year!
- And you can try more than 800 kinds of beers made in Belgium!
What are the traditional Belgium dishes? The famous are Frites, Mussels, Flemish Stew, (my favorite) Grey Schrimp Croquette and sweet 3types of Waffles!
Belgium is a relaxed country and you can come anytime, I prefer autumn. Never mind if you do not speak German, Dutch or French – the people speak almost everywhere also English!