Viva La Roma!
I love Rome – to me it is an ideal mosaic of romance and history in the world. The city cannot be toured in a day, there are so many things to discover every time I return here. It’s a one giant outdoor museum that takes you to the past.
A FEW WORDS – Rome is the capital of Italy and the one of the oldest (history spans more than 2.500 years, since legendary founding in 753 BC) continuously occupied cities in Europe and the most popular attraction in Italy. And of course its historical centrum is listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site. Almost everybody heard about fabulous Italian Renaissance or Baroque style. Famous artists and architects such a Michelangelo, Bramante, Raphael, Bernini lived and worked in Rome.
MY TOP – 5 must see places!
- COLOSSEUM –impressive and massive stone Flavian amphitheater (began 70 AD!). If you like famous movie Gladiator with Russell Crowe, this is where it all happened. I was surprise to learn that women were also gladiators, particularly during the NERO’s times .
- ROMAN FORUM and PALATINE HILL – was the central heart of the city life around which ancient Rome was developed. Here was the commercial, business and administration center of the city. In the past people met here to see their friends in local taverns or enjoy the soul of small markets or shops even to go to school!
- PANTHEON –the biggest brick dome in the history of architecture. It is MOST COPPIED and IMITATED of all ancient works. Michelangelo felt it was the work of angels…not men! It is a legendary place in the city’s history. According to Roman legend – it is the place where the founder of Rome- Romulus- at his death was seized by eagle and taken off into the skies with the God.
- VATICAN CITY – welcome to the SMALLEST country in the world! The Vatican Museums – more than 70.000 pieces can be seen in the exhibition here that is as large as 42.000 m2…unbelievable! Forget about seeing everything in a single visit. I suggest reserving tickets in advance. And do not miss Sistine Chapel – it is without doubt one of the greatest art treasures of all time. Millions of tourists from around the world come here every year to admire it!
- SAINT PETERS BASILICA in the Vatican City is the LARGEST church in the world! It can hold up to 60.000 people! Entrance is free but you need time and patience…hundreds of people waiting in line to enter!
Also very interesting places are Baths of Caracalla, Roman roads, Villa Borhgese, Hadrians Villa or Spanish Steps.
Here is a good opportunity to taste a ROMAN CUISINE – Rome became a major gastronomical place during the ancient Age famous for some high cuisine & some best chefs of that time. Why? Because they came here to work for the popes! You might not be a Pope but could still try some of the best Italian food here. Spaghetti alla carbonara is one of the typical Roman dish (spaghetti with bacon and eggs) or Saltimbocca alla Romana – a veal cutlet topped with raw ham and sage and simmered with wine and butter. Or how about fried artichokes or tender oxtail stew? ….and also pizzas taste very well! BUON APPETITO.
AND DO NOT FORGET – enjoy your morning cup of good Cappuccino (Italians never drink cappuccino in the afternoon) before you head for some shopping in Campo de Fiori or Via Veneto. And maybe you know Italian FASHION because Rome is also known as one of world fashion capitals although not as famous as Milan. All major luxury fashion houses and jewelers such as Bulgari, Fendi, Laura Biagiotti, Prada, Armani, Versace are represented around here…you can buy something in their boutiques in Via dei Condotti.
I could not wait to see my favorite TREVI Fountain (Fontana di Trévi) that is the largest and most famous Baroque fountain in Rome, or maybe even in the world! I love this gorgeous place from legendary movies ROMAN HOLIDAY and LA DOLCE VITA! Nice tradition here is to throw a coin into the water that shall guarantee you to return to Rome again. Unfortunately (now in January 2015) it is under complete reconstruction! But I believe that one day I will be back to see it shining again!